Energy is critical to organizational operations and can represent a major cost to organizations, whatever their activities. In addition, individual organisations hold little influence over energy prices, government policies or the global economy, so the only option available is to improve the way they manage energy in the here and now. Improved energy performance can provide immediate benefits for an organization by maximizing the use of its energy sources and energy-related assets, thus reducing both energy costs and consumption. ISO 50001 – Energy management system is a Voluntary International Standard developed by ISO. It establishes a framework for organizations large and small, in both public and private sectors, in manufacturing and services. This system enables organizations to implement best practices in energy management:
- Develop a policy for the more efficient use of energy
- Fix targets and objectives to meet said policy
- Use data to better understand and make decisions concerning energy use and consumption
- Measure the results
- Review the effectiveness of the policy
- Continually improve energy management.